Mucknell Abbey

Ick. Blogger has a new look, which just goes to show how long I've been away from here.

Wow.

What a mad year. Weddings (not my own), House Moves, my trip to the monastery, starting a band, leaving the band, wanting to join a new band, singing lessons, norovirus, Samsung Galaxy S3, and constantly rolling depression. Lack of money, lack of hair, lack of inspiration.

It's had its highs and lows.

Today I want to talk about the monastery.

I visited Mucknell Abbey and I had a great time. I went for a retreat to try to determine my path in life, what I should do. I heard a voice tell me that I should be a Christian in the world and just do what makes me happy.

I've somewhat failed to do that, confined as I am by the trappings of modern day life. There's a certain question about whether to be foolish and do something risky against what society wants, or trusting in God if he really is telling me to get on with my music career! Well I can't do music without money.

I left that monastery with a great idea of what I wanted to do.

Three months on, the monastery is calling me. It's quite odd. In many ways, I would be suited to a monastic lifestyle. The thing that I find so inspiring, is the community aspect, living in community for the benefit of God, devoting yourself to his work.

No distractions.

While you're in the world, you need the trappings of the world to survive. It can be argued you don't need all this food and technology, but in some lines of work, you do. You need cars.

What a great thing the monastery is.

I will inevitably be going back to see what it's like, was I looking through rose tinted glasses? Is that really God's call?

Only time will tell.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Upper Hand House

Liz Truss and Finances

Russia, Russia, Russia