Cheap Trick

Am I over Rush. Nah.

Rush are brilliant.

Many years ago I bought a great rock album from 1997 called Cheap Trick. Not the first Cheap Trick, but the second Cheap Trick.

I wasn't too keen on their earlier stuff.

I'm not entirely sure what happened, but I find myself seeing Cheap Trick videos on YouTube and being blown away about how good a band in their early 60s are. This surely gives Rush some hope. Forget Rolling Stones. Cheap Trick and Rush are at the forefront of progressive OAPs. Gives me some comfort that life isn't over at 40.

I've found that the strained voice of Robin Zander I found on the 1997 album is a bit of an act and the guy has a brilliant vocal range and still in his 40 years of touring with Cheap Trick, still delivers flawless performances in the same Chicago range.

Tom Peterssons 12 string bass has a really great sound to it, I can only hope Teddy Lee picks one up for the next album. Rick Nielsen is a funny and charismatic guitar player who seems to get better with age. Bun E Carlos would stop running if he can't play with the band line any more. But a great drummer in his hey day.

The music and words of Cheap Trick are fun, lively, inspirational and send a lot of joy my way. I have to admire the musicianship and think it a crying shame they don't seem to be recognised enough. How amazing though they can go from playing major venues to small intimate shows. Seemingly absolutely no pretence.
I've bought the box set and have the rest of the albums on order. I'm even considering going to Canada just to see them live because they rarely come to the UK.

So come on guys,  come to the UK very soon and I'll be at every gig and buy every t shirt.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Upper Hand House

Liz Truss and Finances

Russia, Russia, Russia